Saturday, May 2, 2009

1st Anniversary

One year ago today, we got the call from our pediatrician telling us that our three month old son tested positive for Trisomy 21. It's a day I will never forget and a day that will always hold a special place in my heart. It's the day my life changed forever. What a difference a year makes. One year has passed and the fear of the unknown is gone. The misconceptions have been replaced with stories of hope. The beauty of imperfection has been embraced. We truly feel blessed with the gift of our son.

Today, Joaquin also woke up with his two front teeth. They have broken the surface. It's been at least 9 months since he got his first two teeth on the bottom, now these two will join the others to make a total of 4 teeth! Thank goodness they have broken the surface. He has had some sleepless nights due to the pain. For weeks his top gum was swollen and red. Soon his smile will change. That infectious, joyful smile will be filled with his pearly whites. Stay tuned for pictures!

5 comments:

  1. What great milestones... and please send some of Joaquin's tooth mojo our way. Poor Sheridan is teething, teething, teething but nothing has come out yet - and I don't see any sign of his first teeth :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not realize you did not know until Joaquin was 3 months old that he had T21... I guess it is a shock no matter when you find out, but that had to be a very big shock! I feel the exact same way about the fear of the unknown being gone and feeling like all of this is a blessing - I was actually at a Kentucky Derby party last night and one of my friends was asking if she could pass my email address on to some friends who just had a baby 6 weeks ago with Ds and they are still feeling the shock, fear of the unknown, sadness, etc... it is hard to express to someone that all of that will be gone soon and how blessed you will feel. I feel so lucky to be at that point now.

    Hope you guys are having a good weekend :) I can barely walk today after the Indy mini-marathon yesterday (I was not prepared in any way to be running 13.1 miles, but I did it! Yeah!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary!
    I believe in the road of Hope, Acceptance, Joy and Abundance. What a journey we are on, but a journey that is worth every step - to learn from our children is our greatest gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post -- it is amazing what a difference a year makes. I was just saying to Doug last night that a year ago, our 9 year old still wasn't ready to love John Michael. Today, they're inseparable! BTW, hurray teeth! JM has been suffering w/ teething for weeks and some new ones are finally surfacing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this post. I went back and read Joaquin's story/your story. Wow. I was especially moved at how Andres recognized your son.

    ReplyDelete