Monday, April 19, 2010


Everything we booked (even our alternative route through China and Russia) is cancelled. The volcano erupted more over night and air zones are closed. We are devastated. I have an email out to our adoption facilitators to work on a new SDA appointment ASAP.

We are NOT giving up. We will continue to work as hard as we need to in order to get to Kiev and get our baby girl. The volcano might have stopped us this time but we WILL get to Kiev and get this process started.

We know this is in God's hands and that there is a reason for everything so we will pray for a new quick SDA appointment (hopefully as soon as next week) and that the airports clear up in the next few days. We also pray that Sofia is healthy and is receiving the love that she deserves as she waits for her parents to come get her.


  1. Oh man, I'm so sorry.
    I can imagine how terribly disappointed you must feel.

    TRY and focus on the big WILL happen and very SOON. IT WILL.

    This is just a slight change in plans, it makes you stronger and more able to handle all of the things to come down the road, like being in country and having to deal with things NOT going as planned. Not that those things will happen to you (they sure did for US) but surely there will be little bumps along the way and you will be stronger and more equipped to handle them :)

    Praying for a new date for next week and all the air to CLEAR!

  2. Oh, Jen, I was really thinking about you this morning, so I'm glad you posted.

    I'm so sorry to hear your trip has been postponed and will be praying for a quick rescheduling!!!

    I'm sure sweet Sofia can feel your love across the miles!

    Hang in there!

  3. Oh man, I have tears...I know how disappointed you must be. Praying for peace in your heart as you wait for the green light!!

  4. This is not the result we were hoping for but seeing as there is no way around it, we will continue to pray for a new SDA appt. that will be as soon as possible and will get Sofia home quickly!


  5. Will keep you & your family in my prayers.

  6. Praying that (of all things?!?!?) the volcano ash clears quickly and you are on your way to your baby girl...she is waiting for you!

  7. I am so sorry....I know you must be so heartbroken. But, it is the end result that you need to remember, that Sofia WILL be in your arms at the end of all of this and all of the heartbreak will be worth it.
    Am thinking about you and hoping that you get to her VERY soon!

  8. Oh my... my heart just sank as I read the word "Cancelled." I am so sorry. Yes, there is a reason; maybe nothing more than an opportunity to strengthen your faith. Keep on plugging, mama!! Praying for swiftness for you, and health and love for Sofia while you all wait...

  9. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and beautiful Sofia. It is so difficult to understand the tests that we are often given. But I do know we become stronger from them. Don't give up. Keep the faith and may God watch over your little girl until you can safely reach her.

  10. =( so sorry... soon this will all be a memory and she will be home with her family...hang in there!

  11. I have been following your blog for the last couple of weeks (found it through a link at RR). We also live in Northern CA and are in process for UE, adopting HIV+. I am so sorry about your trip getting cancelled- what a heartache! I'll be praying for you and all of the others whose trip plans are up in the air. Hopefully the SDA is understanding and willing to work with all of the families who are affected by this.

  12. We're praying for you and Sofia.

  13. So sorry, Jen. I was really hoping this morning at 6am that you and Hector were in the air. I feel for you guys. Hang in there!

  14. I am so sorry, I can't imagine how you must feel waiting on this day and now you can't go. Just know that you are in my thoughts. Hope you get a new appt. next week.

  15. I am so sorry! All the anticipation...and now more waiting. You are going to have that sweet little Sofia with you very way or another. Our family has been praying for you...and we will keep praying for you.

    We are adopting little "Ross."

    Blessings and prayers!

  16. (((hugs))) friend. I know this is not an easy pill to swallow, but keep your head up. It will all work out and you WILL be holding your sweet girl very coon.

    Love you.

  17. Oh i am just so sorry to read this post! I am happy to know that you will not be headed on a potentially NOT SAFE flight but this is just devastating news!!! Maybe the authorities in Ukraine will decide after all you have been through with the Volcano and having your flights cancelled that they will make this the first time where they waive the waiting period???

    Thinking about you guys tons!!!! Hoping for clear and SAFE airspace for your flight ASAP!!!

    sending HUGS and very positive thoughts your way!

  18. Oh my goodness, I am so terribly sorry. I know how devastated you must feel. The Father has gone before you and He WILL make a way through all this craziness. I am positive of that.

    I was so happy to just see on the news that some flights have been reopened. Trusting that you will be heading over here before you know it.

    He is more than able!

    Sending you a huge hug.