Saturday, March 21, 2009

3/21: World Down Syndrome Day


Today is World Down Syndrome Day...3/21...in honor of the three copies of the 21st chromosome.

Today, there is still a lot to be done in terms of advocacy, education and acceptance for children and adults with "designer" genes but we have come so far.

I watched a show on HBO called "Educating Peter." It's a documentary about a boy with DS who is integrated into a public school in the 3rd grade back in the early 90's. It actually won an Academy Award for Best Documentary Short Subject in 1992. I look forward to watching the sequel "Graduating Peter" which continues to follow this boy through high school. If you have HBO, check it out. There were parts that were very difficult to see and watch but the end result is extremely heartwarming and positive. We've come a long way since the early 1990's even.

Today, I have fewer days of worry or fear or sadness in regards to Joaquin's diagnosis. I can feel with each passing day, week, month and almost a year that I am growing stronger and I am honored to be on this journey. I feel blessed and special. I feel loved, supported and cared for. I am grateful for my family and friends. I appreciate my husband and I am thrilled with our family of three boys. Joaquin is going to reach his potential and love his life and that is all that matters at the end of the day.

Happy World Down Syndrome Day!

5 comments:

  1. I love what you have written here, it's so true. Your little guy is so darling. How old is he? All your boys are beautiful!!! Thanks for letting us follow your blog. I love the video clips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written, Jennifer. It's a good place to be when we start feeling like this journey is a blessing and our little ones will teach us many good things about love and life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh! I am so ad at myself for forgetting 3/21, I could kick myself!

    Anyway, rant over...

    I actually saw graduating Peter a few months back and boy are you right...we have come SO far. I almost felt like the documentary was depressing but I have to remind myself that there are so many more oppurtunities available now that there weren't even ten years ago.

    I need to call you. Gabby has been nagging me to schedule a playdate with Joaquin ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I left an award on my blog for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been following your blog since my parter found it a few months ago. We had twin boys on December 3, 2008 -- Carter and Nathaniel -- and found out five hours after they were born that Nathaniel had DS. I appreciate your eloquence and honesty. Everything you've gone through I'm going through now, and as I watch Joaquin grow I think it gives me an idea of what to expect with Nathaniel. I just wanted to let you know I appreciste your blog and I hope Nathaniel grows and thrives as well as your son has.
    Lidia Ferrari
    Toronto, Canada

    ReplyDelete