Saturday, July 26, 2008

Halo with a Twist

I've been meaning to write about a very special gift I got from Hector awhile back, shortly after receiving Joaquin's diagnosis. I wear it around my neck and I love it. It's my "Halo with a Twist" and it has Joaquin's name and birthdate engraved on it. I love it and I get compliments on it all the time. It's a pretty sterling silver oval "Halo" that is twisted on one side. It symbolizes the beauty and uniqueness of imperfection. It has become the first international symbol for Down syndrome. The founder of the website Band of Angels, Cynthia Kidder, describes it best. "It’s shimmering and reflective of light; a little different, sturdy yet beautiful. The light is reflected and radiated from it. The twist is the reminder of imperfections in each of us."

Thank you again Hector for my beautiful necklace. I love it and I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment