Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Books, Books and More Books....

I can't get enough of them.

I just finished reading Jennifer Graf Groneberg's "Road Map to Holland: How I Found My Way Through My Son's First Two Years with Down Syndrome" and it was a beautiful book. I was so moved by her book that I emailed her and she responded back immediately. She even commented on our blog. So exciting! I feel like she is a friend just from reading her book and from her encouraging and congratulatory email.

I have also read and devoured "Gifts: Mothers Reflect on How Children with Down Syndrome Enrich Their Lives" edited by Kathryn Lynard Soper. This was an amazing read with 63 different stories and perspectives and I found myself laughing and crying, sometimes at the same time.

In addition to these lovely books, Hector and I are reading Glen Doman's books from the Institutes in preparation for our seminar next week and we are getting really excited about it. "How Smart is Your Baby" was eye opening and I wish I had read the book before I had Diego and Mateo, so many amazing facts and insights. "What to Do About Your Brain Injured Child" is remarkable and shows how dedicated Glen Doman is to bettering the lives of all children. I can't wait to meet the author and his staff next week.

We just received the book "Expecting Adam" by Martha Beck in the mail from a dear family friend, Jane, who also sent us "Gifts" and "Road Map to Holland"- thank you Jane! Martha Beck is a contributing author for "O" Magazine and has appeared on Oprah a few times. I read this book about 6 years ago, just before I had Diego, and it really struck a cord with me. I can't wait to read the book again with "new" eyes.

All these books have been a lifeline for me the past month and are part of the reason I am so happy, hopeful and proud to be mother of a child with Down syndrome. I truly believe that these books would be just as special to all mothers and I would recommend them to anyone who is mesmerized by motherhood or for moms who have lost touch with the joys of parenting and are looking to reconnect with the special gift of raising children, Down syndrome or not.

Here is another video that I fell in love with and just have to share with all of you that kind of sums up everything I got from reading my books...get your tissues ready!

1 comment:

  1. I came across your blog via Jennifer at Pinwheels - congrats on the birth of your son Joaquin (I just had a baby boy on Feb 23rd). I found your story so interesting - that none of the drs suspected he had Ds and you didn't find out until 3 months old, also that your husband's sister's son has Ds.

    I'm glad those books found their way into your hands to read - I wish they were around a few years ago when I had Kayla!(Actually Expecting Adam was around). I have a story in the Gifts book - they are taking stories for Gifts II now if you are interested in submitting your story.

    ReplyDelete